Thursday, June 23, 2022

After - PTSD

Three old doors make a pyramid
in the firepit.
Odds and ends, loose papers,
dead branches that fell
after a big rainstorm,
it piles up - taller than me.

Mesmerizingly beautiful
flames lick the sky,
twisting and dancing,
reaching higher as if hoping
the air will taste fresher
up there. It might; after all,
the fire is so big that
we can't get much closer 
than fifteen feet before the heat
becomes too much.
So from a distance, we gaze
silently, in awe.

But a cold fist closes
over my heart when suddenly
I wonder: where is she?
I glance around, frantic,
remembering that this 
is the first time since...

I see again what I never saw:
slow-motion falling, like those videos
of trees that fall in the forest.
I hear again what I never heard:
that raw-throat screaming
with too much pain for tears.

My mind is filled with images
like an elevator
crammed full of people
jostling, shoving, uncomfortable,
until I see her
at least thirty feet away,
her back to the blaze,
unwilling to look --
too afraid.

I go to her and lift her up.
Featherweight, she clings
to me with her arms and legs
as if I am a floating log,
and she is drowning.
She trembles like a leaf, this child
who used to be so fearless,
so curious. She never used to 
hold on when she was held.
Hands are for pointing,
for reaching and grabbing,
but now she clings, and 
buries her face in my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment